Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blind kittens, MO. Need Homes

CONTACT LAURA,  laura.l.coe@gmail.com


I am in a situation and could use some advice. I found 3 feral male kittens that were appx 4 weeks old. The mother, who appeared healthy and was being fed by tenants of an apartment building, was nursing them, but the kittys were very very sick. I watched them for a week and then realized that if I didn't intervene, they would surely die. They had eye infections and couldn't see. They were walking around in a very dangerous place. I took them to a vet to get them some medicine. The vet told me he couldn't be sure if they would regain their vision or not. He wormed them, gave me eye meds, and oral meds and kmr and science diet canned food. I was vacationing at the time, but I followed the treatment plan exactly as the vet ordered. They responded well to the treatment, so I took them home and continued to care for them. Last week I took them to my vet. Sadly, two of the kittys will probably never see again. The third one recovered completely. These are beautiful, playful, healthy kittens. My vet tested for feline leukemia and the results were negative. I will keep the one that can see, but I can not keep the blind kittys. I have 4 children, 2 large cat hating dogs, and one small cat loving housedog. I would constantly be fearful that the kittys would get out a door left ajar, or the dogs would get in and injur them, or they would injur themselves on the things that get strewn about my house from the kid. If I take the kittys to the shelter, they will be put down. Do you know any resources that might help me find foster homes or adoptive homes for the blind ones? I really, really wish I could keep them, but my home just isn't suitable for a pet that can not see. They would make great pets and after all they've been through, I will make every effort to find them homes before resorting to the dog pound.I can't keep them forever and the sooner I get them in a stable home, the better. Their birthdate, according to the vet, is around July 5th. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I live in Missouri. I would be will to drive them to a new home or arrange for them to get there, if one were to be found.  Oh-the one kitty does have a potential medical issue. One of his eyes was ruptured before I was able to rescue him. The vet said the eye may need to be removed but is ok for the time being.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Please Visit Us!

Get Posts By Email

Enter your email address 

My Headlines

Special Pets Who Need Your Help